Tips and Tricks for Summer Safety:
- Test your Alarm System
- Enlist the help of a trusted neighbor. Ask them to keep an eye on your house-make sure they have keys + your passcode for the Alarm. Add them to your (Temporary ECL) Emergency Call List with the Alarm Company. You never know if they will need to get in the house.
- Do not tip off Criminals on the Web. Watch what you blab about on Social Media - you truly never know exactly who is reading this stuff. Keep in mind, there is no anonymity on the Internet. All it takes is "1 Share", and POOF! The information is 'everywhere'. Brag about your trip - after you get home.
- Be careful what you say on your answering machine or voice mail too. No one needs to know that you're not home - they just need to know that you can't come to the phone right now.
- Do tip off the Police. No need to let the cops know about a weekend away but, if you're leaving town for longer than a week - let them know. They may go out of their way to cruise by, especially in a small town. This is also where the (Temporary) change to the ECL may come in handy - if we need to contact someone to let the Police/Fire into the house.
- Curtains Closed - or Open? Noticeable changes can tip off the undesirables that you are not home. Leave your curtains exactly as you usually keep them when you're home. However, move any tempting (expensive) items, like jewelry or computers out of plain sight.
- Lights? Do not leave all of your lights on while you are away. It is a true giveaway. Use a Timer. Criminals will see the lights flipping on and off and will likely assume that someone is doing the flipping. Many of our Systems can be automated &/or adapted. Call us: 800-540-SAFE
- Mail? Either stop your mail and newspapers for the period that you are gone or, have that trusted neighbor pick them up for you. A pile up of newspapers is a welcome sign for 'would be' criminals.
- Unplug. Pull the plug on your television, computer, toaster oven and other appliances to protect them from power surges. This will also save you electricity.
- Remove your spare key. Remove the plastic rock, or the key on the ledge, under the mat - wherever you THINK it's hidden. Just remove it - before you leave on vacation.
- Test your alarm system.
- Update your Emergency (ECL) Call List - if necessary.
- If you need Assistance with your Security, Monitoring, Fire System or, if you are interested in obtaining one: Please call Olympic Security & Communication Systems 800-540-SAFE
- Did you Know? Olympic Security & Communication can also help you with your Home Theater? Call us!
- Have FUN! Relax! Enjoy the peace of mind that a monitored system will bring to your home -
Posted on 06/17/2016 at 01:23 PM